Today's baking class was fun. We were given 4 main ingredient (Sugar, butter, flour and eggs) to bake a butter cake and were ask to just go and do it without any other instructions. I was indeed very upset that my butter cake didn't come out good. I am sure I can do it, totally a no brainer, back in Singapore. It's like I do it every time. But with 15mins to do everything, I think that's what got me. We were given butter and eggs just out of the fridge. I clearly knew that the ingredients have to be room temperature, it's like everyone who bakes should know, but I am not sure why I did not try to bring the temperature of the butter and eggs up. I just stupidly threw the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and, oh my god, took a diamond whisk. To think of it, why did I even take the diamond whisk. I must be an idiot. I knew back in my mind that I need to beat the butter and sugar to aerate the mixture but god knows why I picked the diamond whisk and fixed it into the machine rather than a bubble whisk. T________T . Then when it started beating I knew something wasn't right, the mixture no matter how long is not getting creamy. But then I was left with 5mins. Threw in an egg at a time, and holy! The whole mixture started separating. That is when I knew my cake was a big FAIL... Last step, instead of folding in my flour like I always do in Singapore I just ended up throwing it into the beater and that totally killed my cake. Because I know by doing that I'm getting rid the already very little amount of air in my cake. Hurrrrrr. I feel so upset. But thank god today our lesson is BUTTER CAKE FAULTS. Means, to find out why will butter cake go wrong. Seems like no one in class did it right. There's this other girl and I who had the exact same method as the teacher just that no one got their ingredients to room temperature... So both FAILLLLL. LOL. But Paul (that's how we call our chef, we don't go YES CHEF. Like I thought we would D: ) said it tasted not that bad just that it is a little heavy because all the air inside was gone. Ohwell, mistakes are always the portals to discoveries.
Lesson learnt today:
1. Don't be affected by the short amount of time.
2. Don't do it when you know it's not right.
3. DON'T FREAKING TAKE THE DIAMOND WHISK WHEN THE BALLOON ONE IS RIGHT NEXT TO IT!
4. Keep calm and be more steady!
5. DO NOT USE BAKING SODA. TASTE LIKE SOAP (In Singapore, some people will call it KI. You know, Ki Zhang -Dumplings- that Ki? Like how the yellow noodles sometimes have that very strong 'egg' taste?) We ate this butter cake from this girl who used baking soda instead of baking powder. The taste is like 10x worst than KI. I almost died. But now I know how bad it taste and would never ever in my life think of putting baking soda into my butter cake. Hahahahs.
I slept for an hour just now like from 7.30pm - 8.30pm. And oh no! I'm so awake now. Since I'm in the mood and feel like being hardworking. Hahahas. I shall do some self-learning. I'm so itching to bake again!
No comments:
Post a Comment